Virginia Tech Basics
- Virginia Tech or VT is located in Blacksburg, Virginia
- Officially named "Virginia Polytechnic Institute And State University" (Yeah, I like Virginia Tech better too)
- Founded in 1872
- 30,739 Students (Michigan has about 41,000 students overall)
- Ranked #71 in the nation by US News
- A student coined the term "Hokie" in 1896
- The "Hokie Stone" is the image of the campus (imagine the Spartan statute at MSU)
- Before the Homecoming game, the Army ROTC group on campus runs the game ball over 100 miles on campus
- Virginia Tech is one of the few colleges that still has a "class ring" system
- VT's mascot started out as a "Gobbler" and became a "Hokie Bird"
- Team walks to the stadium 2 hours before the game with cheerleaders, etc.
- Fans shake keys on 3rd down (Hey we do this too!)
- A Huge "Let's Go Hokies!" Cheer
- Fire off a huge cannon after scoring
- Turkey legs at their stadium
- They do the hokey pokey after the 3rd quarter
- Kylene Barker - Miss America 1979
- Michael Vick - NFL QB
- DeAngelo Hall - NFL DB
- Roger Craig - Winner of 2011 Jeopardy Tournament of Champions
- Chris Kraft - First NASA flight director
Regardless of how many Virginia Tech fans are there, it will still be a great game with a lot of excitement. It's been quite a while since Michigan has been in a BCS game, and it's great to have interesting opponents.
On a side-note, I did not mention the two shootings that have occurred on Virginia Tech's campus since 2007. These are extremely unfortunate events, but not something this blog is designed to report or analyze. However, we encourage all readers to learn from these horrible events and pray for the victims and their families. If you wish to read more look here and here.
Photo Credit: Hokie Sports