Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Get to Know David Dawson

Offers: Alabama. Arkansas. Florida State. Elite recruit? I would say so. 4* offensive lineman David Dawson chose Michigan. Why? Well before asking him, I would say it’s because he’s smart. Dawson started high school playing at Michigan powerhouse Detroit Cass Tech. However, he moved to Texas his junior year and played for Houston Cypress Ridge. Being the elite lineman he is, he adjusted very well to Texas football. Was it really all that different? “The heat was a big deal at first, but other than that, the competition level is all the same to me. There’s really good football in both places.” Dawson has moved back to Michigan and will be playing his senior year at Cass Tech. Thankfully, Coach Hoke is trying to (read: killing it) make sure all elite Cass Tech players end up playing at Michigan. Examples: 2012 signees included 4* LB Royce Jenkins-Stone and 4* DB Terry Richardson from Cass Tech and 2013 includes 4* CB Jourdan Lewis and 4* OL David Dawson. Wins all around. 
David Dawson (@D1_BigDave) is a big offensive tackle listed at 6’5” and 305 pounds. He is a 4-star prospect that Rivals ranks as 199th in the nation. He is exactly what Coach Hoke is looking for at the position. Dawson says he feels right at home and sent a text message to ESPN’s Tom Van Haaren after committing saying, “I’m home! I’m home! I love the coaches, facilities, and I’m playing with the greats in college football.” A Michigan Man and a huge addition! Looks like no one’s gonna be able to touch Shane Morris. He is one lucky quarterback. 
Dawson was kind enough to answer a few questions for me. Here we go. 

Me: So I heard you were added to ESPNU’s Top-150 Watch List today. How does that feel?
Dave: It feels great to be added to the ESPNU 150. I mean, it's a humbling experience because only a few guys get a chance to be on that list and I'm joined by 9 other teammates, so it's good.

Me: There’s a huge chance Michigan’s offensive-line this year will be the top ranked recruiting line in the nation. Players can’t commit fast enough! How does it feel to be a part of that? 
It feels great. We're bringing in high quality linemen. Being able to come in with the linemen that I will be coming in with is great! We're all 4-stars and all hard workers! In a couple years we will be the best in the nation.

Me: What are you most looking forward to when you get to campus?
I'm looking forward to meeting new people, getting a chance to workout, and ultimately playing in the Big House.

Me: Everyone knows Shane’s been working hard trying to get his guys to come to Michigan. Are you in anyone’s ear trying to tell him how great UM is?
Shane will definitely have a job as recruiter after his football career, haha. But yes, I am trying to get guys up there like our [Cass Tech’s] DT Kenton Gibbs and S Delano Hill and I'm talking to my old RB back in [Houston, Cypress Ridge] Texas, Renderick Childs. Everyone has been sleeping on him.

Me: After you committed to Michigan on that wondrous Saturday, did you think you’d be the last of the day? Were you shocked when four more recruits committed that weekend? How did it feel to see so many people decide at once that Michigan was the place to be?
That weekend was crazy! I was happy when me and my bro (Jourdan Lewis) committed, and then to see the other high quality recruits we were getting made it feel even better! GO BLUE!
Kid knows his stuff. Excellent addition to an even more excellent 2013 class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment