Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen: Shane Morris

Shane Morris does not need an introduction. Morris is the epitome of a Michigan Man. He is also one of only five quarterbacks given an early 5* rating by ESPN. Morris stands 6’3” and 183 pounds. Rivals ranks him 16th in the nation and he is the ideal pro-style quarterback for Michigan. However, he told me a little secret -- he can also run. Morris was the first to commit to the 2013 class and he has started a great trend. Tom Luginbill of ESPN says of Morris, “He’s got a great frame for development with already-good height. He’s a strong-armed lefty who is a very powerful thrower with feet, stature, and an authoritative motion.” Morris finished his junior season with 1,684 yards, 19 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions...and this is on a team that featured the run. His coach said he would probably double his passing yards his senior season. “Honestly, if he doesn’t throw for 4,000 yards, something’s wrong,” he said. To name all of his accomplishments would take days. Needless to say, we have our man. 


Now Shane was kind enough to talk to me, but I didn’t want to do any old interview with him. Any regular question I had for him, I was sure was in another interview somewhere online. So I came up with some interesting questions...

Me: Clearly you're going to be compared to Tom Brady. You're our first pro-style quarterback in a while, and well, let's face it -- you're like his mini-me. Have you guys met? Do you look up to his style of play? Well that's a dumb question, of course you do -- but what in specific?
Shane: Yes, I look up to Tom Brady an insane amount! No, we have not met before, but I'm looking forward to the day that we do and I pretty much already know what I'm going to ask him, and maybe we might even get to toss the rock a little if I'm lucky enough, haha. I honestly look up to everything he does from the way he plays on the field to the way he carries himself off the field in public. 
Me: What are you most excited for for 2013? The elite tight ends the coaching staff is going after, your killer offensive line, or a stud wide receiver or two?
Shane: I'm looking forward to everything the class of 2013 will bring to Michigan. We're going to bring tough, smart kids that want to win championships and that's why they're coming to Michigan.
Me: A lot of 2013 prospects that have talked to you mention that you're not just trying to get them to Michigan, but that you're actually befriending them for who they are. It's not some facade to get them to commit. What do you think of that? What kind of guys does Coach Hoke go after?
Shane: I think that's true because just like Coach Hoke, I want a player to play with me that is a great person as well as a great player. I don't want a kid that is just all about himself and doesn't care about the team. That's what we want at Michigan, team players -- not individuals.
Me: You grew up a Michigan fan, so I assume you despise all things Ohio. But you're also a recruit just like hundreds of athletes throughout the states of Michigan and Ohio. Can you fathom the idea that some recruits can have both Michigan and Ohio at the "top" of their lists? How is that possible?


Shane: Haha, well this is a tough question and maybe some people won't like my answer...but as much as I "hate" Ohio, I have respect for their school and their history. They have had a lot of great teams in the past, just like Michigan has, and they have some good players, so I mean I guess I could see how a player might possibly be considering both. BUT there are some huge differences...like for one, Coach Hoke. I mean, come on, he is honestly the most sincere guy I have met in my life and he will tell you what you need to hear, even if it's something you don't want to hear. Another difference simply would be that IT'S MICHIGAN FOR GOD SAKES! There is nothing like it in the world! From the school, to the football team, to the best fans across the world! There is nothing like Michigan...nothing even close. 


Now you guys tell me. Who wouldn’t want this man leading Michigan into the future?



No comments:

Post a Comment